Re: filmscanners: Vuescan: "device RGB"

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:01:09 -0800  shAf (michael@shaffer.net) wrote:

>     The result is VS RGB is somewhere inbetween ProPhotoRGB and sRGB,
> and most like EktaspaceRGB.  Unfortunately, VS RGB is a smaller gamut
> than what Nikon believes belongs to the LS-2000 ... if I assign
> "Nikon_wide" the over-saturation is obvious.  Fortunately, and as
> Richard stated before (at least with respect to Nikons), the scanner's
> gamut is designed to exceed that of the media

Yes, quite. It's easy to overlook this practicality during purist arguments
about abstractions :)

>... so Ektaspace is an
> easily accepted compromise.  Ektaspace is also respected for its
> editabilty, and its wide gamut is very suitable for highbit editing.
> Its gamut is also sufficiently wide for archiving.

Actually I think you're spot on here, and the space used *is* Ektaspace - at
least according to my overcrowded memory of previous discussions.

>     The downside of VS RGB, besides being smaller than some scanners'
> device spaces, is that it is significantly smaller than "Adobe wide
> gamut" and ProPhotoRGB.  That is, you get nothing by choosing these
> two color space options ... unless you like a lot of headroom for
> serious Photoshop adjustments ... but the "beyond gamut" results of
> such adjustments cannot be seen in monitor space, so what's the use(?)
>
>     The good news is VS RGB is sufficiently large.

Yes, again:) Colour space discussions can sometimes seem to veer a
little close to religious fundamentalists arguing theology. If it
works well, never mind all that, is my attitude.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &
comparisons