Re: filmscanners: Scanning negatives for archiving

Lynn: I used the term Raw Scan to mean that I set my Minolta scan software to 16
bit linear for the color depth setting... this gives me a negative scan into
PShop... is I set my scanner to a regular 8 or 16bit scan, then it imports a
positive image into PShop...  I find that working with the linear scan in PShop
gives me the longest tonal range, etc. as opposed to letting the scanner
software do the inversion.... I have not taken the time to work with Vuescan, so
I can't comment on that product... My current climb up the learning curve is to
experiment with the controls in the scanner software to see if they give me any
control over the resulting curve of the neg... after that I will start doing
scans of differently exposed negs of the same subject, with the end result to
bring them into register to obtain an extremely long tonal range... but it all
starts with that original scan of the neg...

Mike M.

Lynn Allen wrote:

> Mike wrote:
>
> >...I TWAIN import this into PShop as a 16 bit raw scan... so it
> shows up in PShop as a neg (I am talking color neg ) where I then Invert
> (Image>Adjust>Invert), after which I adjust Levels...
>
> Hold it right there, Miguel. :-) I don't use either a Minolta or a Nikon,
> but you sure turned on a light bulb, here!
>
> I've really never really known what to do with a Raw Scan (they always
> looked too dark to work with, so after the first time, I didn't), but you
> seem to handle them in ways I didn't know was possible. It sounds like
> you're doing most of the work that a tweakable scan-driver does, in
> Photoshop, and getting great and publishable results! I've considered that
> (in desperate moments), but haven't worked up the courage (or time) to try.
>
> I, for one, would really like to hear more about this technique and how it's
> done.
> And anybody who complains it's "off-topic" ... is playing with fire,
> bigtime. ;-)
>
> Best regards, and thanks for the idea--LRA

> FREE! The World's Best Email Address @email.com
> Reserve your name now at http://www.email.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.