From: owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Software City
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 12:29 PM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: Re: filmscanners: RE: Photo quality printers: Hewlett-Packard
vs. Epson

Being in the repair biz, I can only say we see lots more HP inkjets, then
all the other brands combined (granted there are more HP's in circulation,
but the numbers still seem disproportionate). HP does great lasers, but I'd
never recommend an HP inkjet to a Customer. There's a lot of cheap plastic
in them, at least on the lower end. Plus, there aren't any Continuous Inking
Systems available for HP. One distinction between HP & Epson & others is the
fact that the print head is built into the cartridge.I'd guess the theory is
that you get a fresh head with each new cartridge, but I have to wonder
about the head quality & ongoing cost. (I believe there's a class action
suit going on over this issue.) If you do some surfing of folks who are
seriously into the digital darkroom, you never see a mention of HP: mostly
Epson.
    Regards,
    Ken Jaskot