Re: filmscanners: Anyone using Win2K? Does is manage color like W98SE?

"Frank Paris" <marshalt@spiritone.com> wrote:
>>Rob wrote:
> > It's a better OS overall.  MS want to get everyone over into the
NT/Win2K
> > environment so that can kill off Win9x/ME.
> No. They are working on a version of Windows that has a common base from
> which they can spin off various scaled versions, for use at home, office,
> server, etc. The price will be scaled similar to what we have today for
ME,
> 2000 Professional, 2000 Server, etc. The way they will make more money
doing
> this isn't by charging the consumer more money, but by reducing their own
> internal maintenance costs.

Huh?  What was different between what you're saying and what I'm saying?
Microsoft have wanted to move every version of their OS to something
based on the NT kernel for ages - it's fully 32bit and doesn't have DOS
underlying it.  The NT kernel is much more robust than Win9x/ME.
There may well end up at least three levels of product for consumer,
professional and servers (and there's several of the latter), but the will
all be based on a common kernel.

> But no one within Microsoft seriously entertains the idea that consumers
> would be willing to pay $300 for their operating system. That's not in
their
> plans.

Windows ME costs more today than Win 3.1 did.  At some point people
probably *will* pay $300 for their OS.  That's beside the point.  They'll
charge what they feel the market will bear.

Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.