RE: filmscanners: RE: Win2k and application RAM

Sorry guys, it came earlier than that. VAX/VMS had exactly the same kind
of split and the architect of VMS also designed the NT kernel.

The 4GB is 4GB simply because that's the addressing range you get from 32
bits. So a flat address space on a 32-bit processor is inherently 4GB
wide.

VMS and then NT split the process address space in half, and gave half to
the private process space and the other half to shared system space.
Making it a 50-50 split is just one of those broad-brush simplifications
that you make if you want to avoid any hint of segments.

A flat address space just _had_ to be unbearably attractive to Microsoft
after all the hassle they had been through during the growth from 8086 to
80386.

mike@efikim.compulink.co.uk (Mike Finley) wrote:

> I don't think there is an alpha port, no. The split comes originally
> from
> the MIPS version of NT though, not Alpha.
>
> mike

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.