filmscanners: RE: Photo quality printers: Hewlett-Packard vs. Epson

I was wondering if anybody could comment on the relative quality of
Hewlett-Packard vs. Epson photo quality printers.  I just heard from a
salesperson at a store that deals in both HP and Epson products that HP
printers are more trouble-free than Epson.  Does this correspond to the
experience of people on the list?  The Epson website stresses the
lightfastness of Epson inks for long lasting prints.  The HP site says
nothing about this issue.  How do Epson and HP printers compare for the
longevity of photo prints made with their inks?  HP printers are 4 color,
Epson printers are 6 color.  Is this difference important?  I just had a
sample photo print made with an HP printer, and the color quality seems
excellent.  Are their any other photo quality printer brands that I should
give serious consideration to besides HP and Epson?
Dr. Paul Patton
Beckman Institute  Rm 3027  405 N. Mathews St.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  Urbana, Illinois 61801
work phone: (217)-265-0795   fax: (217)-244-5180

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the
source of all true art and science."
-Albert Einstein