RE: filmscanners: Color management

Lynn writes ...

> I've heard (but haven't seen it written definitively)
> that when Photoshop installs, it sets up its own
> color management system. Does this new color
> management:
> o 1)take over or supplant Windows' color management?

        Windows does not manage color, but does recognize ICM profiles and
associates the preferred profiles with the hardware.  For example, if
Adobe Gamma creates an monitor profile and associates it with the
display, Windows actually does nothing with it.  It is up to Adobe
Gamma loader to modify the display look-up table, and Photoshop to
make use of it.  Other ICM savvy software and hardware drivers
(printers) would work the same way.

> o 2)take over color management in other programs (if any)?

        No ... but other softwares, not being "display compensation" savvy,
would use the Windows color look-up table which has been modified by
Adobe Gamma loader.

> o 3)affect peripherals, like printers or scanners?

        ... as I said above, Windows will associate the ICM with the
hardware, but it is the hardware driver which makes use of it.

> o 4)reset the monitor?

        Adobe Gamma loader does this ...

> o 5)affect other programs, e.g.Vuescan, when PS is not running?

        Other software would need be ICM savvy and make use of the monitor
profile.  very few sotwares actually do this.  But also make note of
what I said in #2 ... Adobe Gamma loaded modifies the display colors
which are available to all softwares.

HTH ... shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.