filmscanners: PS with dual CPUs, WAS: Re: Need feedback on VueScan Idea

> [mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Rob Geraghty

> "Quoton" <quoton@dial.kfu.com> wrote:
> > down any more. However, Photoshop (5.5) is noticeably slower on Win2K than
> Win98.

That's highly abnormal and indicative that something is not right with your
Win2K
installation. It could be any of a number of things including a virus, excessive
fragmentation, too little RAM or too many background programs, inefficient
swapfile
settings for either PS or the operating system itself, etc. Win2K is inherently
faster
than Win98 in everything.

> > My guess is that PS is a 16 bit program optimized under 16 bit OS such as
> Win98.
> > But Win2K is a 32 bit OS.
>
> Odd.  I thought PS5.5 and later were optimised for dual processors out of
> the box. :-7
> Maybe there's a config setting somewhere?

PS has been optimized for dual processors at least since v4.0 and possibly
earlier.
There's nothing to configure. PS Setup recognizes an SMP system and installs the
Multiprocessor Support Extension automatically.

Click Help/About Plug In. If it shows an entry for Multiprocessor Support then
everything
was setup okay. If not then the system itself was misconfigured and is using
the wrong
Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL).

Cary Enoch Reinstein aka Enoch's Vision, Inc., Peach County, Georgia
http://www.enochsvision.com; http://www.bahaivision.com -- "Behind all these
manifestations is the one radiance, which shines through all things. The
function of art
is to reveal this radiance through the created object." ~Joseph Campbell

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.