RE: filmscanners: Puzzled about display resolution

Austin wrote:
>Certainly there are people who use 640x480 to do image editing.

Your claim was that most people on the list would use 1600x1200.  I think
there's been enough posts to the contrary to show that this is unlikely.
 Frank is the other only person I've seen mentioning that resolution or
higher.  In any case, the only way to be sure would be to take a survey
and I don't think anyone has.  I wonder if Tony has considered having a
web survey on his site?

> you, those tools are an exception to the rule.

640x480 *may* be the exception to the rule, but that depends on where you
draw the boundaries of your sample set.  Again, I don't think it's possible
to say anything concrete without figures.  In the general PC user population
today I'd expect *most* people would use 800x600, but it may be that *most*
scanner users have their computers set to higher resolutions.  Number are
needed in order to make definite statements.

> The direction things are moving in is higher resolution,
> and you build your product for the future...not to live
> in the past.  It's the same issue with memory, processor
> speed and storage capacity.

You can do this if you're Microsoft, not if you're a shareware vendor.
Microsoft can afford to say "You have to have a PC133 Pentium III 800MHz
CPU with 128MB of RAM and 2GB of hard drive space to run Win2K" but lesser
mortals have to account for the lowest common denominator if they want to
make money.

> Buy used.  I am sure you can buy Hitachi 802 monitors
> used in AU.  Video cards are cheap too.

My video card can easily do 1600x1200.  I doubt that there is a significant
market for refurbished high resolution monitors capable of 1600x1200+ outside
of Sydney or Melbourne, and I live a LONG way from either.  Few companies
that may be selling such would be on the internet.  All that aside, I wouldn't
buy a second hand monitor after the amount of trouble we've had with older
monitors at work.  Anything 3 years or older is likely to be suspect unless
it has been properly refurbished and supplied with a warranty.  I'm quite
happy working in 1024x768 which is more the point for me personally.  I'd
love to have a 19" or 21" monitor but I simply can't justify the cost -
new or 2nd hand.

> Understood, but you can do well buying used, if
> you know what you are looking for.

Again, this assumes a lot.  It's a big world, and the way it looks from
where you're sitting isn't how it is for a lot of other people.

This discussion is a little irrelevent anyway - Ed Hamrick is the author
of the software and it's his choice who he wants to support and how.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.