Re: filmscanners: Kodak Color Input Targets

I have a Scanwit 2720s, with which I am well pleased. It's
much the best budget scanner, by all accounts.

However, even with Ed Hamrick's Vuescan (a nearly essential
$40 accessory for most scanners) you can exert only limited
control over its initial output. You'll get its own
automatic exposure setting whatever you do. You can save the
'raw' scanner data, and play with it afterwards, but there's
little or nothing you can do to control the content of that
raw file. You can't expose for the shadows specifically, or
the highlights, for example. Vuescan allows you to extract
the best from the raw data, once you've got it.

So if you're into subtleties like accurate calibration, you
may need to spend more money than you would on the Scanwit,
to get more control over the scanner.

Good luck,

Alan T