filmscanners: analog gain vs. auto exposure in vuescan [was Re: Need feedback on VueScan Improvements]

----- Original Message -----
From: <EdHamrick@aol.com>
To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: filmscanners: Need feedback on VueScan Improvements

> In a message dated 3/6/2001 10:21:57 AM EST, jules@popmonkey.com writes:
>
> > are there any plans to support the analog gain controls of the LS-2000?
>
> Yes, this already works in VueScan.  Turn off "Options|Auto exposure"
> and set "Options|RGB exposure" and "Options|Infrared exposure".
> This controls the same SCSI fields as Nikon changes when you set
> the "Analog gain" option in NikonScan.

superb!  so auto exposure adjusts those analog values?  i thought it was a
post scan processing thing.

i guess this means it's critical that even the raw scan is cropped
correctly, originally i thought the raw scan didn't get any autoexposure,
that it's always scanned the same way.

again, i must have missed the message alluded to here where the options that
apply to raw scan output are listed.  this would be extremely helpful as
right now i'm not taking full advantage not knowing when i have to do a real
rescan and when i can just work from the raw.

for example, i scanned some Fuji Provia-F 100 and it came out a bit dark.  i
adjusted the brightness setting under colors and rescanned from raw and that
seemed to have helped, although the colors were off (easily corrected).  i'd
much rather have adjusted the analog gain, but that would have required a
rescan (according to what this message says).

so just let me understand this: auto-exposure in VueScan (at least in the
LS-2000) controls the analog gain controls, not levels?  is this the way
NikonScan works too?

sorry if these are stupid questions, but i'm still having trouble grocking
all this.

~j

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.