Re: filmscanners: Vuescan - A few technical questions

In a message dated 3/4/2001 12:42:54 PM EST, michael@shaffer.net writes:

> After I saw the mis-registration for LEP, I
>  scanned again at 16x MP only.  I couldn't see where LEP improved over
>  16x MP.

If you have a Nikon LS-2000, the 16x multi-pass scanning will
probably produce better results.

>  After all (Ed may comment), what's the difference between
>  increasing the exposure time and scanning mutiple times?

Increasing the exposure time will saturate the CCD in the bright
parts.  Some (most?) CCD's will bleed light from overexposed
pixels into nearby pixels, which messes up dark areas that are
near bright areas.

This is the reason that I resisted adding the long exposure pass
feature for so long.  However, people kept asking me to add this,
and the customer is always right <smile>.  Hopefully it's useful
to some people in some circumstances, but I don't recommend
that the long exposure pass option be used normally.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.