RE: filmscanners: pc monitors

Lauri,

I'm up on the Hitachi site right now, and it appears they have replaced the
814 with the 815+. It's the exact same tube, and the specs look identical.
That tube is also used in the 811 and 813 (looks like they dropped the 812).
It is also the same tube used in the Cornerstone p1500, p1600, and p1700.

Now I'm visiting the Cornerstone direct outlet site (www.monitorsdirect.com)
and I notice that the advanced replacement insurance policy is now $79 and
is only for 3 years, as opposed to $30 and 5 years when I got it just six
months ago. I guess that's what happens when the price falls from $1,200
(when I got it) to $950 (the current price). Still a good deal, though.

I went to MonitorsDirect comparison guide and there are only two differences
between the p1700 and the Hitachi CM815+: Hitachi CM815+ has been built to
more current emissions standards (TCO-99 vs. TCO-95, but I have no idea what
the difference is), and costs $150 more than the Cornerstone. Their price is
$1,106, $7 more than your quoted price from PC Connection. $949 for the
Cornerstone. I know that my p1700 is slightly crisper than the 814 I liked
so much at a former place of employment.

I'm curious about what resolution and refresh rate at which you are running
your 815+. I'm at 1856x1392 and 75 Hz on my p1700. I find that when I go to
85 Hz under Windows 2000, I lose crispness. I did not notice this loss when
I was under Windows 98SE, although I can't imagine why there would be that
difference, but it was noticeable booting back and forth on my dual boot
system.

Frank Paris
marshalt@spiritone.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.