filmscanners: Nikon 4000ED

Visited the UK FOI 2001 at  the NEC Birmingham yesterday and had a shufty at
the above scanner in demo mode.

A single and 16x sampling image showed a distinct contrast change with the
single sample being the better gradation. However it has to be said that no
noise was visible at 300% on the 16 sample.

Saw ICE in action and one must admit it was impressive when used with the
demonstrators chosen originals, however why is it that these shows never
seem able to scan a first class original and output to large size paper
print. Lets see optimum quality, that's what I say.

I also noted that the software company responsible for the scanners front
end were advertising as a separate organisation which might suggest ICE will
become available for use by other devices, otherwise why go to the expense
of producing printed matter, that's what I ask.

While I was at it I had a look at the printer paper product being sold  by
one Perma Jet. Some pretty hefty substance numbers were on offer like 250gsm
stock that felt like hand made paper, which of course it could not be. Has
anyone used this product in anger on an Epson 870?

Another organisation that took my eye, and some of my money to boot, was
Lyson inks. I musy admit o being impressed with their 6 colour B&W option
and an additional B&W tinting ink set.

In fact I was so impressed that I forked out 5 pounds sterling for their
video tutorial on "Lyson Archival Colour and Monochrome Inksets and Media" -
something of a gobful "title wise" - as our American cousins may well have
said - but nevertheless a very useful little number covering a variety of
topics from installing the Lyson Ink Set to calibration matching between
monitor and printer.

worth five biggies from anyone's wallet that is.

Quite a good show really and well up to speed on the technology front with
Epson demoing their professional inkjet printers and using a RIP of all
things. No doubt making an attempt to get into the real print market
proofing technology.

On the side, and while watching a friendly pro tell us all how easy it would
be to take studio flash into the great outdoors - always providing one
purchased his wonder remote power unit - I  noted his Bronica fitted with a
one shot digital back bunging them into a Mac and up on the old Photoshop
screen in double quick time, and in very fine fettle, quality wise too.

Where will it all end, I ask myself....what's it all about Alfie I does
worble in fine baritone mode.

No doubt the old soothsayers will paint a picture or two on this one, but
will it have digital quality that's what I want to know.

Richard Corbett

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.