filmscanners: RE: Help: Trouble with UMAX Powerlook 1100 Scanner

I am trying to help a friend setup a UMAX Powerlook 1100, on a Windows ME
machine.  The connection is Firewire.

When attempting to install the MagicScan software, we encountered a problem
with the "umaxusd.dll" file, as documented in UMAX knowledgebase article
SC00166.  We were able to resolve this issue, but the MagicScan software
could not link with the scanner.  When I checked the "Scanners and Cameras"
control panel, there was no scanner listed.  When I attempted to add a
scanner, I chose the appropriate model from the list, then was presented
with a choice of ports:  COM1 or LPT1 (neither of which apply -- firewire).
I chose COM1 anyway, and the Add Scanner wizard would not complete because
it said the scanner name (I had accepted the default name) already existed,
though there were no scanners listed.

UMAX knowledgebase article #SC00144 stressed the importance of finding the
"SBP2" device in the System control panel.  This device was not present, and
when I used the "Add Hardware" control panel to add this device, it appeared
to work OK, but never appeared in the Device Manager tab of the System
control panel.  His computer is a Compaq Presario 5900T that does not use
the PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller; instead, it uses an
embedded controller from Texas Instruments, which is inconsistent with
article #SC00144.  He also had more driver files and a newer driver date
than indicated in #SC00144.  There are no instructions in #SC00144 for
adding the SBP2 device, though this article is assuming Win 98SE rather than
Win ME.

Has anyone had a similar experience or a solution?

Thanks for your help:

Rorik J. Melberg
Phone: (602)896-3732
mailto:rorik.melberg@sequencia.com