filmscanners: PS6 and scanner profiles

    I noticed several weeks ago PS6 will allow you to load almost any
profile as your working space, including device profiles.  Not that
I'd suggest using a device profile as an editing space, but I thought
I'd post some interesting aspects for one device profile which came my
LS-2000, "%_NKWide_CPS.icm" (referenced as "Nikon AdobeWide_CPS
2.5.0.1001").  For example, in spite of this being a LUT device
profile, PS6 will calculate color space parameters for it,  ... R,G,B
primaries, gamma and whitepoint.
    Curious, I plotted these values against some of the commonly used
working spaces ... (e.g., AdobeRGB, sRGB, etc) ... and this Nikon
profile compares very nicely and is almost enclosed by "EktaspaceRGB"
... same gamma and whitepoint.
    A caveat here, is of course, we have all learned to accept Nikon's
application of CM with a grain of salt, but PS6 does allow you to
compare your scanner's device profile parameters with working spaces
for choosing the proper archiving color space and editing space.
    It would also be interesting if Tony's wwwsite plotted scanner
device profiles for comparison ... possibly having something to do
with choosing one scanner over another because of its gamut.  PS6's
calculation does reduce a LUT type profile simplistically, but it
would supposedly treat all scanner profiles equally(?)

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.