Re: filmscanners: evolution (was Nikon 8000 ED or Polaroid Sprintscan 120 ??

Tony... I wasn't talking about a $200 scanner... I was talking about a scanner
in
the $1000 to $2000 range, same as those cameras you referred to... BTW, I use a
Nikon N90s, cost me $750 for the body new... uses the same glass as the F-5...
It
seems to me a camera is actually a more complex animal than a scanner, even a
film
scanner... when enough fotogs start to figure out they are going to have to
scan or
die, the market will get really competitive for their dollar, just like the pro
camera market is...

Mike M.

Tony Sleep wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:33:31 -0700  Michael Moore (miguelmas@qwest.net) wrote:
>
> >  There is a BIG market out there for a good quality, reasonably priced
> > scanner that will meet pro needs..
>
> Ah, but the market determines the price. Why would a manufacturer charge less
> than they can achieve? A cheap pro quality scanner is therefore tautological.
> The same goes for Nikon F5, EOS1v, sundry Leicas and Contaxes etc. Of course I
> wish they were $200 too...
>
> However, as with cameras, mid-market filmscanners may start to acquire extra
> bells and whistles to entice buyers who aren't as interested in long-term
> durability or best-possible quality, but rather the overall blend of
> attributes. The profusion of brand new acronyms might suggest filmscanner
> marketing is already headed down this well-worn path. It's a sign of a
>maturing
> market where technological advance has rather reached a stalemate, or at least
> adequacy for the market, and is a standard way of making your products seem
> superior to rivals of otherwise equal performance.
>
> I think all the current generation filmscanners are, at a hardware level,
> basically competent and capable of good results in the right hands. That's why
> I think the donated-Q60 review methodology is past it's best-by date. When I
> started doing it, just about every scanner was grossly different and incapable
> of anything approaching neutrality. That has changed - like SLR's they're all
> pretty damn good now, and preferences come down to features, ergonomics,
> software and useability. And of course price.
>
> Regards
>
> Tony Sleep
> http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &
> comparisons