RE: filmscanners: Workflow questions

Noel,

I don't think that you would have any problems upgrading your PC.  The best
thing to do is go on the net and see if the hardware that you own has
upgraded drivers for the OS that you want to upgrade to.  Windows also
includes many of the drivers for older pieces of hardware.

As for the scanning software, use what works best for you ;)

For the web images, I have worked long and hard to get the best results from
this one.  I hava altered my process many times from tips that I have
received from this list and from my experience.  Here is what I do using
Photoshop 6.0:

1) Scan at full resolution as a tiff
2) Crop and apply any color correction, if needed
3) Touch up using the clone tool
4) Apply any filters, i.e. Unsharp Mask
5) Save this image as a tiff (to be burned on CD)
6) Resize for the web (usually 600 height or 700 width, whichever is larger,
in pixels)
7) Save for the web in Image Ready

I hope that this partial list helps.  Have Fun!!!

Spencer Stone

<snip>

1. Which of the three scanner software programs is the most likely to
give me
a usable scan?

2. For web images, should I set the final size pre-scan, and pick a 72
dpi resolution
then, or is it better to scan at a higher resolution and then reduce it
after
editing?

3. For printing to the inkjet, I have read here and other places that
the image
I send to print should be about 1/3 of printer resolution. The Epson 860
is
1440 x 780, or thereabouts. Which number should I be 1/3 of, the 1440 or
the
780?

4. Should I upgrade to Vuescan 6.7.2?

5. Can I upgrade my OS with losing the modem or scanner? It would be
nice to
be able to use the printer's USB connection, which I don't think is
supported
very well in Win 95

Any information would be appreciated, I have just begun to experiment in
the
digital darkroom, and hope the collective experience of the film scanner
group
will be able to help me along the way.

Noel Charchuk
Calgary, Alberta