From: owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Hemingway, David
Sent: 19 February 2001 04:44
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: RE: filmscanners: Nikon 8000 ED or Polaroid Sprintscan 120 ??

In researching for the SS120 we asked medium format users about features
including the various dust and scratch solutions. They said pretty much to
the person they took excellent care of their film and did not consider dust
to be a problem. They said they would rather address dust with localized
Photoshop work rather than a global system they perceive as softening the
entire image.
Polacolor Insight has software based dust removal. My personal testing has
shown if I take a tremendously dirty slide which I have made no attempt to
clean the Insight dust removal appears to be about 80% as effective as ICE.
If I take a more realistic slide which has be cared and cleaned the results
are much closer.
 I also polled several Imacon d
dealers to see if any of their customers have requested hardware dust
removal solution. They responded they have never had a single request. I
don't think Heidleburg has it on their drum scanners. I also noticed at PMA
that Imacon was  demo'ing dust removal in Photoshop using the history
palette. Pretty neat.
All that being said if we did have ICE it would be easier at the point of
sale but I don't know how much better a scanner it would be..David Hemingway
Polaroid Corporation