Re: filmscanners: Nikon 8000 ED or Polaroid Sprintscan 120 ??

Richard: I earn my living as a professional photographer... I do not scan for
fun... I scan because I have to have a reliable source of scans that I can
manipulate in Photoshop and be able to hand my clients a CD or photographic
print made from a digital file that matches the iamge I visualized at the moment
I shot the picture.

I do not have the time to wait for PhotoCD Master scans to be made, nor am I
inclined to trust my scans to lab scanner techs who are trying to meet
production schedules. I have my 4x5 film scanned by a custom lab at $29 per
scan...(I plan to buy a Linocolor 1400 very soon) I scan my own 35mm... that is
why I, and a lot of other PROFESSIONALS are buying these Minolta and Nikon and
Polaroid scanners... We must adapt and change in order to survive... I used to
shoot film and leave it at the lab and then go back and explain to the counter
person, who would hopefully explain it properly to the printer (who hopefully
knew what I was trying to achieve, etc) and three or four or five days later, I
would get a print... if it was close to what i wanted, great.. if not, back in
for a redo... I had one lab tech do me the favor of giving me ragged black
borders on what were supposed to be full frame prints from 35, no borders, for
an architectural competition... this all on deadline.. the client was with me at
the lab, he went ballisitic... Now I control this myself... I scan my own negs,
I do the appropriate manipulations, I print out on my Epson or send them to a
lab with a Fuji or Noritsu (for up to 8x12) printer that will spit out real
silver based photographic prints... and I can hand my client a CD with those
same scans as PSD or TIFFS and they can get all the prints they want, that look
like I want them to look, and I can keep shooting...

You may be retired, but I am still in the fray of this digital revolution.. Just
as we saw the computers become smaller and into the hands of the end users, so
we will see more pro photographers take the scanning into their own control...

If you want to see one photographer who has already handled the whole deal, from
taking the photo to making the final scans for his glossy coffee table show
book, check out this link  http://www.pointreyesvisions.com/index.html

Mike Moore

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.