Re: filmscanners: firsttime vuescan user

Hello John,

--- John Bradbury <bradbury@on.aibn.com> wrote:
> If all the images are exposed with a varying light
> source and some are
> backlit Nikonscan is the software to use.
> Nikonscan seems to treat each frame with "respect",
> Vuescan seems to use the
> exposure from the first frame as the norm and cannot
> cope with varying
> conditions, backlighting, or a in case where a
> window is in the frame, just
> totally confuses it.

Nikonscan must be considerably better than the version
I used to use with the LS20. In any case, I believe
that what you are saying is that Nikonscan resets to
some kind of default after each scan?  I gather you
make a series of scans from strips of film. I don't do
this myself, so I can't suggest a solution. Vuescan
ordinarily remembers your previous settings.  I would
have thought that setting the color menu to "white
balance" would make it possible at least for the scan
to return scans balanced for each individual frame and
not just the first frame.  If you say it is otherwise,
I will have to believe you until I see for myself.

Vuescan otherwise copes very well with the conditions
you list.

> Nikonscan crops perfectly, Vuescan leaves black
> edges if the strip hasn't
> been cut with precision.

You can use auto cropping and adjust it to cut inside
the black edges a bit.  I manually crop just about
every scan so I can't say whether the auto crop is as
skillful as Nikonscan's.  It's not very important to
me.

> Both have idiosyncratic interfaces. Nikonscan cannot
> be read on my monitor,
> the fonts used are impossibly small for my ancient
> vision. But after much
> use I can now feel my way through the controls. The
> preview and histogram
> are useful for badly exposed images.
> Vuescan's preview is something I never use, there is
> no immediate feedback.

I don't understand.  If you do a preview and then make
a color change and select "preview memory", the
feedback is pretty immediate.

> But the ability to scan a raw image then use the
> controls to find the best
> output is useful

>From how you describe your use of VueScan, it is hard
to imagine how useful it is since you don't seem to be
using the things I find the most useful about VueScan.
I shoot mainly transparencies and find that color set
to "none" or "white balance" gives me a good
starting-point and the preview is quite accurate.  I
also never do batch scanning.  It is amazing to have
batch scanning with no compromises, but I suspect
Nikonscan is merely doing individual white balancing
from one scan to the next.  This might be pretty good
for most images, but there would have to be some
compromise on the whole. If you are getting results
you like, however, I'm not going to try to argue
anyone out of that. :-)

Joel W.