Re: filmscanners: Beginner's question on which scanner to chose

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Armando A. Cottim wrote:

> Hi guys.
> Sorry for this question.
> I notice that your posts are all so high leveled that I almost feel ashamed
> for such a beginner's question but ... here it goes.
>
> I 'm considering the acquisition of a scanner to scan slides for my magazine.
> I've been given several options.
> (Please consider that Portugal is not the best place to get the ultimate
> machine just by going to the shop) :-(
>
> First of all I was shown the Epson 1640 Photo (which is a flatbed and is
> said to scan 1600x3200dpi)

What does 1600x3200dpi mean?  Does it scan at 1600 dpi along one dimension
and 3200 dpi along the perpendicular dimension?  I've also been puzzled by
a similar claim on Epson's website.  It gives a maximum print resolution
for the Epson 1270 photo quality printer of 1440x720 dpi
-Paul Patton

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.