From: TonySleep@halftone.co.uk [mailto:TonySleep@halftone.co.uk]
Sent: 06 February 2001 13:11
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: RE: filmscanners: Re: Scanning problems

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 08:03:00 -0800  shAf (michael@shaffer.net) wrote:

> For example, Julie may want to sell her
> work to a "stock photography" library, who sometimes insist on 50Mb
> files.  She would not be able to (honestly) sell an image which had
> been JPEG compressed at any time.

Oh I don't know - I've met more than one photographer who has covertly duped

35mm to 5x4 to meet a client requirement for sheet film ;)

Seems to me this is all a matter of intention. If later manipulation is
intended, high bit TIFF output should be specified.

If it's going more or less straight to press or other output, people will
often
prefer JPEG. Apart from much shorter wiring time of JPEG, TIFF format is
mutable enough to cause occasional 'aargh I can't read this!' problems which

are not wanted where deadlines are involved (BTDT).

I have to agree with Ed that JPEG at high quality settings is close to TIFF,

close enough that you'd never see any difference in printed output. The
smaller
files are much more manageable, so favoured for transmission.

I can see it both ways, and it seems the answer is to know what you want and

specify it clearly. And for the lab to ask, rather than assume. Both
preferably
before they do the job:)

Regards

Tony Sleep