RE: filmscanners: Re: bit depth and dynamic range

Paul,
"Dynamic range," typically refers to  tonal range or the contrast range that
the scanner can capture.  3.6 is considered very good for a CDD ( or is it
CCD, I get confused) based scanner; drum scanners can get up into the 4.0 to
4.4 range.  I believe 5.0 is the upper limit of the scale; but no scanner
even gets as close as 4.6 to the best of my knowledge.  "Color bit depth"
refers to the number of bits per pixel; often it is divided by 4 to give the
color bit depth per pixel per color channel; hence, 48 bits per pixel
becomes 12 bits per channel.  Standard bit depth is around 8 bits per
channel with 12 bits per channel being usually called high Bit depth.  It
defines the amount of color and image information possible per color
channel.  However, not all that information is always used since most
printers and programs work in the standard bit depth of 8 bits/channel or in
24 bit depth per pixel for all channels.  The extra information comes in
handy when the printer or program compresses the tonal scale or contrast
range in permitting it to better determine where the gamma should be placed
and where the highlight and shadow compression should take place.  More
information available the better the estimate by the application or device.

Hope this helps.  I know of no particular source that deals specifically
with this, although it can be found discussed in a number of different books
on scanning and on Photoshop.