Re: filmscanners: Acer Scanwit 2720 problems

Hi again,

>it sounds like you have a bad lamp or ccd sensor, I get good results from
>mine.
>I prefer to use Vuescan. Let us know how Acer does with service.

Well, after receiving some help and second opinions from someone who
contacted me off list, I have come to the conclusion that the scanner is bad.

I tried my Fuji Sensia 100 slides and consistently got a blue cast on the
pictures. I tried Kodak Gold and Royal Gold (emulsions 100-2 RA and 100-6)
and got a magenta cast on pictures. Adjusting monitor gamma or color/curve
tools did not help.

So I called Acer. Their customer service is very good. After a few
selections in the automated menu system I got someone to talk to
immediately! She had to put me on hold a few times to get straight answers
to my questions, but I'd rather wait for a few minutes than get wrong
information. Very good. The person I talked to tried to solve the problem
by asking questions like, what OS I run, which films I've tried, have you
tried this and that, etc. We agreed on that the scanner probably was bad so
I should send it back. No problem at all. Based on the serial number she
could tell when the scanner was made and that I was eligible for the 48
hour hotswap deal. No paperwork. Very smooth!!

There was one catch, though: The 48 hour hotswap is not really a 48 hour
hotswap in the sense that you will have a new scanner within 48 hours. Acer
will send out a new scanner within 48 hours. That's what it is. This is
still FAR better than having to wait for weeks and weeks for an ordinary
warranty claim to come through. I also have to pay for the shipping of the
defective scanner to Acer. But they only wanted the scanner itself back. I
get to keep the film holders, cables, etc...

When making that 48 hour hotswap Acer also needs credit card info. Just in
case you don't return the old scanner...

I hope this solves my little problem... I'll let you know when the new
scanner arrives.

Tom

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.