RE: filmscanners: real value? paperless office

>Fact is anyone who sends me an mega important doc will always have a copy
>themselves if we ever need it.

How can you count on this if we were actually in a "paperless society" or if
the other person was or was in a "paperless office" like you.  Why would you
expect them to have a copy themselves that they could get to you if you
needed it?  Why couldn't it be possible that they did not have an existent
paper copy and only had an electronic copy but their computer system was
down due to a power blackout, a system crash, a hard drive crash, a virus
attack, a hacker attack, or an accidental erasure of the original file. In
such a case, what if you needed it yesterday but they could not get back
online to get you a copy or locate or get access to the backup copy for
several days.

>There is always a risk with whatever media you choose. Just recently a
>hospital here in Ennis was flooded and lost 3 years of patients records. A
>fire in a local accountants ruined their business. We have a serious daily
>back-up policy in place. Try backing up 2 ton of paperwork.

While what you say has some merit; it does ignore certain types of issues
and situations.  Many people, for reasons of personal security, insist on
having their own personal copies of important files under their exclusive
control for their own personal protection - be it internal office politics
or external reasons.  In many such cases, they do not want said documents to
be on the company server or even on a hard drive on their personal company
workstation, which other higher company authorities can legally access and
which are not covered by personal privacy laws and policies.  For them, hard
paper copy constitutes real, hard, concrete evidence and/or documentation
that is less open to question than an electronic version which may be easier
to alter without leaving any easily recognizable trace of the alteration
 something which will only increase as the digital advances take place.  You
can scientifically test the age of a paper document, identify the
handwriting or typewriter that produced it, determine if it is an original
or a copy, readily recognize any erasures,  whiteouts, cut & pasting, etc.
It is not so with electronic files and documents.

>We have the option to print any of the 20,000 docs if we wish.

I respectfully submit that it is precisely that option which technically
makes an office a "paper office" rather than a purely and truly "paperless"
one. If you - the royal you is intended here - decided on each and every
occasion to exercise that option when reading, writing, or working on those
documents, what would differentiate your office from a traditional paper
based one where there is an electronic option equivalent to the option which
you describe.  In both case, it would ultimately boil down to a matter of
personal convenience of the user or office worker,