RE: filmscanners: real value?

It ( the HP) may not have clogged up in part due to the fact that HP's
typically have their nozzles in the cartridge itself; whereas Epsons and
some other brands do not.  In the pre-chipped Epson printers there was a
reservoir of ink between the cartridge and the nozzle which could dry out
and harden as well as the ink left within the nozzles which could dry out
and harden.  With the intro of the chipped cartridge in the 1270, this is
less likely to happen.  However, before the advent of the chipped cartridge,
it was recommended that one not remove the cartridges from the printer
except to change them when they were empty for that very reason.
Unfortunately, even the OEM cartridges in the older printers, if left
standing for an extended period of time without being used would tend to
have air leaks that would cause the ink to dry out sometimes at the outlet
from the cartridge but more typically at the nozzle.

As for how to flush the nozzles, I believe Art has already suggested one
way.  I suppose there are other ways as well that one could get from the
Epson Inkjet lists or from some of the third party ink distributors.
Personally, I have not run into the problem myself; but I suspect that I
will soon be facing a clogged old Photo Stylus which has been sitting unused
for 1 year with the ink cartridges still in it and which I did not take my
own advice to you.

Oh yes, one other thing, after you have removed the partially used ink
cartridges from the earlier model Epson printers, do not try and reinstall
them later.  Use a new fresh set of cartridges.