RE: filmscanners: Vignetting?

Rob Geraghty writes ...

> ...  Now to me, vignetting in the
> camera is caused by a wide-angle lens "seeing" the
> edges of a filter.  ...  But the effect I
> believe he was attributing to vignetting is caused by a
> polariser - the sky tends to be darker at the edge
> of the photo, sometimes on one side,
> sometimes both depending on the angle to the sun.
>
> Would anyone on the list call the variation in the sky in
> the attached jpeg vignetting?  ...

        "Vignetting", to me, is an effect (not the cause) attributable to
something, sometimes purposeful, sometimes not.  It usually also
implies "circular" (with respect to the lens), so I wouldn't describe
this particular effect as "vignetting" ... altho, for the lack of a
"simple" description, I don't object to using the term in this case
just for understanding what he is referring to.
        As you probably know ... this is most likely the result of the
polarizer's relationship with the sun ... the light scattered from the
sky at right angles being more strongly polarized.  If you had a wide
enough lens and pointed the camera in the direction of the sun, then
the effect would be circular (altho with respect to the sun, not the
lens).

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.