RE: filmscanners: Acer Scanwit 2720 problems

Hi,

Oops... I think my first mail got out twice.

>I sent it back and got a Nikon LS30.  The thing you should
>realise is that scanning film is a lot harder than scanning
>a print - there's a *lot* less data in a print than on the
>film.

Which is why film scanners have a very high optical resolution.

>You ought to be able to get 10x8 quality out of the Scanwit
>since it is (I think) 2700dpi.  You may need to do some
>sharpening after scanning though.

The ScanWit is 2700dpi optically.

>Have you tried Vuescan?

Yep. Same sad result.

After posting my mail on the list I surfed the web for a while. On the
Dutch Acer site I found un updated version of the driver software. For some
wierd reason it is unavailable from the American site... Anyway, if someone
is interested in updating their software here is the link:
ftp://ftp.acercm.nl/scanner/drivers/2700dpi/mirafoto2.zip

The new software seems to give a lot better results with slide film. With
print film the results are the same (at least with the only trouble-picture
I tried). I have yet to compare the new scans against the slides. I will do
that tomorrow.

Tom

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.