RE: filmscanners: metamerism (was Epson product philosophy (was SS4000 and LS-2000 real value?)

Frank writes ...

> ... Metamerism is a *relationship* between *two* objects,
> not a *property* of a *single* object, ...
> ... Metamerism has nothing to do with appearances, but
> is a measured relationship between two sets of
> spectral reflectances under the *same* illumination.

        Don't they call this "different colors"?? ... that is, different
colors have "two sets of spectral reflectances under the *same*
illumination"(?)

        Your definition does not rule out metamerism being about the same
reflectant as viewed under different spectral illumination.  That is,
you can speak about metamerism of a single reflectant ^relative^ to
different illuminants, or 2 reflectants (which should appear the same)
^relative^ to a single illuminant.

> .., I stand by my original assertion that the Epson
> 2000P produces amazing results, ...

        All you're really saying is the Epson 2000P produces amazing results
under ^your^ illumination.  Others complain when they see amazing
results, and then change their minds when the print viewed with the
illuminance under which it was intended to be displayed.  What would
you suggest they call it???

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.