Re: filmscanners: SS4000 and LS-2000 real value?

Rob:

Thanks for putting some ground back under my feet.  I was feeling
particularly frustrated when I wrote that.  I'm checking into
non-proprietrary inks and probably will end up following your and other's
recommendations.  For me, such a printer would be an intermediate step until
something better (and proved to be so) comes along.

I'm in a somewhat unique position as the result of a fairly good cash
windfall (courtesy of Steve Case) in that cost is much less of a factor than
physical space and practicality.

Have you tried non-proprietary inks?  It sounds like you have.  Any nozzle
clogging problems?

You also used a term "A4 photo quality".  Is this something special to
digital terminology or are you referring to the A4 size letter paper which
is used in Europe as opposed to US letter size?

I hope all this discussion is not too OT for Tony.  IMHO, a scanner is not
much use if you can't print what you scanned without buying a professional
printer for almost as much as I paid for my last car, so the two subjects
(input & output) are a bit intertwined.

Hart Corbett

----------
>From: "Rob Geraghty" <harper@wordweb.com>
>To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: filmscanners: SS4000 and LS-2000 real value?
>Date: Sun, Jan 28, 2001, 12:00 AM
>

> "Hart or Mary Jo Corbett" <hnmjcorbett@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Thanks for clearing away the fog, so to speak!  What you say certainly
>> sounds logical to my unscientific mind.  Gives me something more to think
>> about.  It's looking like I'll have to wait a few more years, if possible,
>> before a good archival printer comes along that will meet my needs without
>> filling the room!
>
> Huh?  The Epson 760 is unbelievably cheap, will do A4 photo quality
> printing,
> and you can get 3rd party *pigment* based archival inks (try Generations).
> At least have a look at the results you can get from one - it might not be
> *the*
> answer, but it ought to give pretty decent results until a smaller OEM
> pigment
> ink printer comes along. A lot of people complain about colour crossovers
> with printing B&W on Epsons other than the 870/1270, but I don't find them
> so bad on my 700, and the 760 is better technology than my 700.
>
> Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.