RE: filmscanners: Image alignment/registration

MCRich writes ...

> The question:
>
> Will Apple¹s QuickTimeVR Authoring do this?   Any
> alternative software?

        I am totally ignorant of this software ...

> The problem:
>
> JPCaponigro suggests a "shoot twice scan twice" strategy
> to capture both highlight and shadow detail of
> long-dynamic-range subjects.
> Imperfections of filmholders and scanner mounts mean
> the two resulting Photoshop layers are imperfectly
> aligned (registered).  ...

        Understand that when you scan the 2nd time for shadow detail, your
scanner software is only brightening (adjusting gamma, ... whatever it
is you apply) your "raw" RGB scan data.  Although this is done with
RGB depth native to the scanner (12bit?) and therefore precise, IF you
also have the ability to transfer your native scan depth to Photoshop
as a highbit file, then you can create your "brightened" shadow detail
layer there.  Once both these are into your 8bit image as layers, you
can "blend" to your heart's content, and both will be in perfect
registration.

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.