RE: filmscanners: Scratched Negs & Home C-41 processing

  • To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
  • Subject: RE: filmscanners: Scratched Negs & Home C-41 processing
  • From: Roman Kielich® <panromek@bigpond.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:13:30 +1100

At 07:18 23/01/2001 -0800, you wrote:

>         In one case, I picked up some negatives which demonstrated a very
>long scratch across several frames which didn't show up in the prints
>(which I use as pseudo-proofs).  The significance of the scratch was
>it should have showed in the prints, and my conclusion was the scratch
>occurred during the printing process.  One method of avoiding this is
>to use a service which puts the sticky laminate on the film after
>processing, but before printing.  However, the laminate has it own
>downside ... primarily being a hassle to remove before scanning.
>
>shAf  :o)

if they accepted your argument, they deserve to be punished. Most printers
use diffused light which "masks" fine scratches. The same neg printed with
a point light source would look terrible. Saying that, I'd rather look for
scratches which are not parallel to the edge. It is definite sign of a film
abuse.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow
in Australia".

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.